A compendium of notes and quotes from the candidates forum Sept. 8 for San Leandro city council:
- Says businesses oppose Measure Z; in favor, but does not favor 7 year clause.
- Would support raising taxes, attracting Silicon Valley companies, marijuana farm
- Asked what does oath mean to you? Gregory says he carries around the Constitution, shows it to audience.
- On Marina: "We have a plan." then said "We need a comprehensive plan."
- On stores: "We have a lot of storefronts." If walkability to downtown is built, "I think more businesses will come."
- Would also reduce traffic congestion downtown.
- Says public safety makes up 60-62% of budget; those groups need to help city.
- Referring to the school board: "We handle our money well."
- "We should spend what we're bringing in and not continue using our reserves."
- Called for more youth programs.
- On Marina: "It has to be developed." "Residents have said they want restaurants and open green space there."
- "Bayfair has a reputation for not being safe."
- Called for transit spokes sprouting out from main E. 14th Street lines into neighborhoods.
- "I come from a poor, working class family. I was the first to attend college in my family."
- ""If we have business thriving, we're thriving overall."
- Supports sales tax measure. Says it "softens the blow."
- Says her father is retired, on social security and with a pension. "It's not enough."