2012 YEAR IN REVIEW | What a year it was for the East Bay Citizen. Through hard-hitting coverage of the 2012 election season you could not find anywhere else in the Bay Area news media to the unfortunate, yet glorious, spate of tabloid-style stories that emanated from the bowels of government this year, the site rose from a few thousand readers to tens of thousands. In fact, 17 of the 20 most read article in The Citizen’s nearly four-year history occurred in 2012. Eight of the Top 10 most read stories this year notably contain some element of sex. From Nadia Lockyer to the Hayward School Board scandal, these articles again illustrated what we already know: sex sells.
1. Graphic Nadia Lockyer Sex Tapes Posted Online, May 12, 2012.
2. Text Messages Reveal Another Illicit Affair Among Public Officials In Hayward, July 25, 2012.
3. Hayward School Board Member Embroiled In Affair With Colleague Admits Not Reading Meeting Materials, July 26, 2012.
4. Armas, Heredia Seen Together At LVW Forum And Walking Streets Together Afterwards, Oct. 8, 2012, by Shane Bond.
5. County Sources Allege Nadia Lockyer Is Fighting Substance Abuse, Feb. 13, 2012.
6. Following Re-Election As Hayward School Board Trustee, Reynoso May Seek Board Presidency, Nov. 13, 2012.
7. Reynoso Asks For Investigation Into Affair Among Hayward School Board Members, July 27, 2012.
8. Supervisors Decry St. Rose CEO's Lack Of Transparency Over Financial Status, Mar. 14, 2012.
9. Armas Will Not Resign From Board; 'Thank You For The Invitation,' He Says, Aug. 23, 2012.
10. San Leandro Council Candidate's Online Comments Rile City's Asian Population, Aug. 27, 2012.