|Stan "Data" Dobbs|
Last Friday, Dobbs led hundreds of students at Hayward’s Glassbrook Elementary School in audibly reciting an eight-point pledge.
- I am a Hayward student and proud to be college bound.
- I pledge to join the 1000’s of other Hayward students on the pathway to college.
- I will be focused and determined, courageous and tenacious.
- I pledge to set goals that I will not only reach but surpass.
- I pledge not to procrastinate when there is work to be done.
- I will find and use resources that will help me to be prepared.
- I will follow these values in my pursuit of higher education and other opportunities of a lifetime.
- I am a Made in Hayward student and I am college bound.
The pledge was signed by each student. However, if students were to decide a different path to personal enlightenment other than college is better solution, there is no provision for them mopping the deck of the U.S.S. Dobbs as punishment.
Last week, the school district said the pledge is part of Dobbs’s on-going “Made in Hayward” program to increase student testing scores and keep struggling students on course for graduation. Dobbs was named superintendent last June replacing Dr. Donald Evans who took the same position in Berkeley.